Men’s hats … does anyone else struggle? My husband Shawn is a plain kind of guy, and I love that about him, but boy, does it make hat knitting for him boring! I much prefer playing around with techniques, colours, and stitch patterns 😉 So when he asked me for a new hat, I figured it was a good time to try something new: double knitting!
Double knitting (unrelated to DK or double knitting weight yarn) is a technique in which you create two layers of fabric at the same time – one to the front of the work, and one on the back/inside, depending on whether you are knitting flat or in the round! This results in a project that is completely reversible and is also extra thick and warm.
So, with a new technique to practice, I set off to make my husband a new hat. I snuck in a tiny bit of colorwork, but it still passed the “simple” test 😉
The pattern is heading off to the Tech Editor, and the time for test knitters is nearly here!
I consider this pattern to be a good first-step into the double knitting world. It is fairly straightforward with little colorwork. I will also be writing tutorials for the techniques used, so even if you’ve never tried double knitting, you’re very welcome (encouraged, even!) to sign up to test knit. I do recommend, however, that you are comfortable with basic knitting, particularly being able to read your work, and not being overwhelmed by working with two colours at the same time! Knitting, purling, K2tog and SSP (slip, slip, purl) techniques are all used.
Call for Testers
If you’re interested in testing take a read through the requirements below, then just send me a message to Sarah@KnitaBitofWhimsy.com and tell me about yourself! In particular, let me know if you’ve tried double knitting before. I consider this pattern to be a good first try at double knitting, so I’d love to have knitters who have double knit before AND those who haven’t! Don’t forget to leave your social media links (including Ravelry) so I can say hello and see what you’re up to!
- Call for Testers closes March 28, 2018
- Testers chosen and notified by March 30, 2018
- Testers receive pattern after March 30, 2018 (possibly around April 4)
- Test knit is due April 13, 2018 (2 weeks for knitting) – this can be pushed back since I’m running behind!
- Size 7 (4.5 mm) circular needle – 16″ (40 cm) length (or size required to get gauge)
For double knitting I find you want a fairly firm fabric so that the backside doesn’t show through the front. I used the needle size recommended for the Estelle Worsted, even though I held the strands double! (However, I’m also a very loose knitter).
- Sample used Estelle Worsted holding 2 strands together in Forest and Brown Bear
- You could also use a bulky weight yarn, but do be sure to check your gauge!
- 13 stitches over 4 inches (10 cm)
- 20 rows over 4 inches (10 cm)
Requirements for testers:
- Test will be run in private Facebook group. You must be able and willing to join group and post updates, questions, and photos there
- Provide a progress update once a week in the testing thread on Facebook.
- Create a Ravelry project page for the test knit.
- Give feedback on the pattern and knitting experience, and if tutorials or extra features would be helpful (super important!).
- Only sign up if you can meet the deadline!
- You will be given a copy of the final pattern via Ravelry upon release.
- You will also receive a coupon code allowing you to download an additional pattern from my Ravelry store once your project is linked to the pattern (once pattern is published). This code won’t expire.
Send your information to Sarah@KnitaBitofWhimsy.com 🙂 I’ll be in touch soon!
PS, interested in test knitting, but this isn’t the right time, or the right pattern? Join my Test Knitter’s Email list! You’ll get an email when a new pattern is ready for testing!