This summer I was accepted as a Yarn Ambassador from The Fibre Co., for which they sent me four skeins of delicious Tundra yarn in their new colours. I had never used Tundra before, but immediately fell in love with the soft and airy texture of this bulky weight yarn. I immediately knew that I wanted to create something I could cuddle up in, and keep close to my skin. It took a few tries, but I finally created a cowl that is soft, cozy and so very warm! It is inspired by the colorway names themselves (Blue Lagoon and Barents Sea) – the stitch pattern reminds me of waves in a choppy and icy sea, and the colors complement that perfectly.
Because of the high percentage of baby alpaca and the bit of silk in this yarn, it is quite drapey (and so soft!). I’ve used a tighter gauge than recommended to create a cowl with some structure to it. I also finish the cowl off with ribbing that is designed to tuck inside for a 2-layer cowl design that helps to show off the stitch pattern on the outside of the cowl, and helps keep it close to your neck for extra warmth (a must in our Canadian winters!).
The hat uses the same stitch pattern, and has a slight slouch. It’s quite warm due to the fibre content of the Tundra yarn, despite it’s somewhat lacy appearance.
This hat and cowl set is nearly ready for testing. It will be tech edited before you receive it to ensure a mostly painless testing experience. This set is a quick knit perfect for last-minute gifts as it’s knit in a bulky weight yarn. I used The Fibre Co.’s Tundra yarn, and I can’t recommend it enough. It is soft and luscious (a blend of baby alpaca, merino and silk is hard to beat!), and I absolutely love their commitment to sustainable and ethical processes throughout their creation process. I recommend using Tundra if you can get it, but I understand that’s not always possible – just let me know what yarn you plan to use for the test knit!
If you’re interested in testing, just send me a message to Sarah@KnitaBitofWhimsy.com and tell me about yourself! In particular, let me know what if you would like to make the hat and/or the cowl, and leave your social media links (including Ravelry) so I can say hello and see what you’re up to!
- Testers chosen Nov 26, 2017.
- You will receive the pattern Nov 27, 2017.
- Test knit is due Dec 11, 2017.
- Size US 7 (4.5 mm) 24” (60cm) circular needles
- Size US10 (6mm) 16” (40cm) circular needles
- Size US10 (6mm) Set of 5 Double Pointed Needles (or a longer circular to use the Magic Loop method)
note: in the samples shown, the Main Colour (MC), and Contrasting Colour (CC) are reversed in the hat and the cowl.
- Main Colour: approx 120 yards bulky weight yarn.
- Contrast Colour: approximately 60 yards bulky weight yarn.
- Main Colour: approximately 87 yards of bulky weight yarn
- Contrast Colour: approximately 22 yards of bulky weight yarn
Requirements for testers:
- Let me know what yarn you will be using for the test.
- Specify if you would prefer to test the hat or the cowl.
- Provide a progress update once a week in the testing thread on Facebook.
- Create a Ravelry project page for the test knit.
- Give feedback on the pattern and knitting experience, and if tutorials or extra features would be helpful (super important!).
- Only sign up if you can meet the deadline!
- You will be given a copy of both the hat and cowl final patterns upon release.
- You will also receive a coupon code allowing you to download an additional pattern from my Ravelry store once your project is linked to the pattern (once pattern is published). This code won’t expire.